Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Out With the Old


In 1994 we got a big oval swimming pool just in time for my step-daughter's 16th birthday. We had a beautiful deck built as well. We had a fun party for her. Many summer parties have centered around this pool, and it has provided hours of fun. My youngest daughter would even swim on days that were chilly and overcast. She loved the pool! I even remember my dad, who died in '96, playing volley ball with us in the water. He loved swimming!

As I write this, there is a crew of guys tearing down that deck. It's gotten old, and is rotting in places. The pool is still here for now. We tried to open it this year...but it has a huge leak that we haven't been able to locate. Over the years, we've repaired it, put in a new liner, bought a new filter, etc. We're thinking that it's time for that pool to go too. The kids are grown, and have many other things to do besides swim in our yard. The time, money, and energy it takes to keep it usable isn't worth the amount of use that the pool gets.

Yet...I am sad. Did I mention that I really don't like change? It's hard to watch it come down. "Nothing stays the same"...I learned that from my husband a long time ago. I still need to learn that good things come from getting rid of old things. I need to learn that you have to clean out the old, rotten stuff to make room for new fun, and new joy. New joy will come...it's right around the corner!

No comments: